Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Big White Barbie Teaches Values

During class today, I took the liberty of copying down the text from one of the dialogues that my students are required to study at the opening of a new lesson. I was stunned to discover that while the curriculum may be rife with errors (I correct the textbooks on an almost daily basis), that it redeems itself by teaching this generation of Koreans some very important life lessons. Below is an excerpt of the dialogue:

Katie: Blah blah blah. I'm not as smart as you! Sad face!

Freddy: Your marks are better than Chloe's, you're not the worst student in class!

Katie: It's alright for you. You're the brightest student in the class. More sad face!

Freddy: That's not true. You're the most popular student in the class. You always help others. Everybody likes you. That's more important.

Katie: You really think so?

Freddy: Yes. You are my best friend.


Noting the important lessons that my students could take away from this short passage, I ensured that each student had a chance to read each part. It simply wouldn't have been right had my students failed to miss any of the following points:

1) When in doubt about your own abilities, comparing yourself to somebody slightly less fortunate is a totally appropriate way to restore your pride.
2) People who don't have the exact same problems as you will never be able to properly understand the difficulties that you have to endure.
3) It's okay if you're a fucking moron, so long as you somehow still manage to get everybody to like you. Popularity is the most important thing in life.
4) The fact that everybody likes you somehow refutes the assertion that you're a fucking moron.

While you may think that I'm kidding, I take my role as Life Advisor very seriously.

No comments: