Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The 1st of 227 Reasons That Teaching Adults is Better Than Teaching Children

Reason #1 Why Teaching Adults is Better Than Teaching Children:

I no longer need to bring extra tissues to work.

Mucus Student was 9 years old (In Real Years. This translates to something like 17 in Korean Years) and didn't know when it was time to blow his nose. He was not functionally retarded. His English speaking ability eclipsed that of his peers. He was not socially retarded; in spite of his perpetually leaking nose, he seemed to be quite popular with the other snotrags. Yet somehow, he had minimal appreciation for the fine art of nose blowing.

It was a tragedy of epic proportions.

I would come to each of Mucus Student's classes with an extra wad of tissues, just for him. When he approached my desk to hand in his homework, dripping profusely from the nostrils, I would subtly pass him some tissues and indicate that it was time to blow. Or at least wipe, for the love of God. I was not always quite subtle enough. Occasionally one of the other students would notice the exchange, which would lead to the other 4 students giggling at their nose blowing inept friend. They all seemed to understand how totally gross he was in this regard. Mucus Student would shrug bashfully and seemingly feel no shame.

Mucus Student was a model student, whose failure to properly maintain his nostril drippings thoroughly repulsed me. Every single class my thoughts were forced to wander into the territory of How Did This Happen?! Did his parents drop the ball after potty training? Did they even teach him to do that properly? What gives, Mucus Student's parents?

I spent way too much of my time last year analyzing repulsive matters such as this one. While those of us who pretend to be adults undoubtedly have our own repulsive habits, I'm yet to come across anything as nauseating as Mucus Student and his failure to know when it's Nose Blowing Time. For this, I am grateful.

3 comments:

travelingfarstandingstill said...

interesting note:
for reasons unknown, public nose blowing is considered rude and offensive in Korean society. This was passed onto me by a Korean friend. I know it seems absurd, letting your nose drip, drip, drip, but maybe, in a culturally explainable way, drip boy, was exceptionally polite.

Big White Barbie said...

I heard that once before, too. I assume there is truth to it. Frankly, I don't blow my nose loudly in public either... it's gross. That's what bathrooms or trips to the hallway are for. Surely there's no cultural rule against blowing in private?

Beth said...

This was hilarious. thanks for sharing :)
Is this going to be a series? because i expect 226 more reasons why teaching adults is better than teaching children.