Friday, February 6, 2009

Spotted: Order in Seomyeon.

The perfect, single-file line wrapped neatly around the curb. Roughly 15-20 people waited quietly, just steps away from one of Seomyeon's 42 subway exits. Nobody attempted to cheat their way to the front of the line. Nobody saw the need to plough their way through the line when they could instead, just walk around it.

When the bus they were waiting for finally pulled up to the curb, the line moved onto the bus in an orderly fashion. Still, nobody cheated their way to the front of the line.

This, in a neighbourhood where I'm unable to get to work in a timely fashion without violently elbowing at least three people along the way. This, in a neighbourhood more in need of Walking Hagwons than the English Hagwons that are currently found on every corner. This, in a neighbourhood that is so lacking in organization that I once described it as what would happen if you gave a 3 year old a pack of crayons and asked them to design a city centre.

Just the night before, somebody rammed their elbow into my back at one of the 15 Family Mart's near my apartment. Apparently there just wasn't enough room in the store for the two of us.

I gaped awkwardly at the lineup for about 30 seconds before one of the members of the line spotted me making a ridiculous face. She pointed and laughed at me. This was the correct thing to do.

Either nobody in that lineup is a Seomyeon regular, or Seomyeon is broken. This time, in a good way. Or, perhaps this happens everyday and I'm just too busy violently elbowing people to notice?

6 comments:

White Rice said...

Wow. Seomyeon is clearly broken. That is some funny shite. I would have paid money to see you march to the front of the line and jump the queue. If you haven't tried Korean style Q jumping, it is good times. Have a go!

matteh said...

hey barbie,
I thought you were painting a sarcastic idealised picture of what the queue could have been. I've not yet got on a bus that wasn't "shove until you get on" style. Hope your next ride is a little less messy.
m
I strongly suggest applying to the many universities in Busan. Hit Dave's ESL and make applications a part time job four months before the beginning of terms. You've got a really strong chance at nailing a "dream job" in Korea, if that isn't a complete enigma for you.

Anonymous said...

If you are so unhappy with Korea why don't you leave?

Big White Barbie said...

Matteh - while it's entirely possible that The Lineup didn't really happen, I prefer to think that not only did it happen, but it's going to become A Thing.

My current job, the one which I've had since January, isn't too bad. Teaching adults>teaching children. I may look into a University stint after this job, if the Japan thing falls through.

Big White Barbie said...

White Rice - I fear that Korean Style Q jumping may get me killed. I'll stick to violent elbows for now and go from there.

Big White Barbie said...

Anonymous Whiner - Of all the posts that you could of chosen to harp on, you pick this one? Really? This wasn't even my most negative of the month!

For further illustration of why your question was retarded, see here: http://mediocracies.blogspot.com/2009/01/its-not-always-about-you-korea.html

With so many perfectly valid reasons to insult me, it's lost on me how the Anonymous Whiner Crowd keeps missing the mark.