Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pangs of Culture Shock

I moved around so much last year that I wasn't really in one place long enough to get past the lovely honeymoon period of culture shock. Though I was well over Korea by the time 2010 rolled around, knowing that I got to leave in two months meant 8 weeks of goodbye parties rather than bitchy sentiment. After that, I spent a few weeks in Canada before going to Budapest for CELTA. Budapest seemed shiny and new, in spite of not actually being either of those things. I was only there for a month, so my memories of it are almost entirely fond. The summer following that was spent slaving away at a miserable job in my hometown, but knowing that the end was start up cash for my fall job in Japan made the time fly. Then there was Japan, which was 3 months of fall glory. No, I didn't have to experience the less pleasant phases of culture shock last year at all. To be honest, I was starting to think that I was such a seasoned expat that I had become immune to the whole process. Foolish, wasn't I?

I don't really count my first couple of months in Russia as a real experience, since I spent much of them just waiting to move to a more centrally located apartment. I more or less put my social life on hold until that happened, and just assumed that everything would fall into place and be amazing after moving. I wasn't totally off base. It has been amazing, I've made more friends, had more fun, and am probably healthier for it. Yet, in spite of all the good that has come my way as of late, I still came home feeling like a wad of crap last night.

It took a few minutes of analysis to realize that I was probably beginning what is possibly now going to be a Bad Russia Week. I find it incredibly odd that I didn't feel like this my entire first two months, when everything actually did sort of  blow, but only finally felt the pangs of culture shock after a day filled with great people, amazing food, and some glorious Victory Celebrations.

On the bright side, while I may not be immune to culture shock after all (duh), I know from experience that things will shortly be pretty fantastic again.



2 comments:

sergei said...

Interesting observation.. Of course, everything is relative.. I am glad you have things to enjoy..
Eventually, especially if you manage to get some command of the language, you might find it really different than in Korea or Japan. I know quite a few of Europeans, who after spending an year or so in the city, would feel comfortable there up to the point that they simply would not want to leave.
With all due respect to Busan or your home city, culture and social life wise, Moscow is entirely different level.

Becky said...

Of course Moscow is on an entirely different level from Busan; I wouldn't exactly call Busan a cultural hotspot.