Monday, May 9, 2011

Finding a Corpse on the Streets of Moscow - an Expat's Rite of Passage?

Last week, I was walking out of the subway station near where I teach private lessons from time to time, when I noticed a man lying on the ground just to the left of the door. He was very still, and not in the "aw, he's passed out in an Armani suit" sort of way that I got used to seeing all over the place in Korea. Across the way, to the right, there were some police officers interviewing who I can only assume were the least white looking people they could find (I assume this, because, so far as I can tell, there are a large number of officers here who's primary duty is to ID the least white looking people that they can find. I do wish I were kidding on that).

Racial profiling aside, there was another officer checking out the scene who walked back to take a good look at the man on the ground. He made no effort to wake him up. He merely took a look, shrugged, then began questioning anybody who stopped to examine the man on the ground. As I neither wanted to be questioned by the police, nor did I really want to confirm if the eerily still man was in fact dead, I opted to not go any closer and just continued on my way. Nobody else really seemed all that bothered by it all, so I figured that I may as well not be either.

I passed this story by a few of my coworkers here, and everyone of them said the same thing: It happens. I've seen corpses on the street here, too. 

1 comment:

SuperFantabulous said...

Nice. Nothing like seeing a dead guy first thing in the morning.