Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sometimes, Korea is Magical.

As I posted the other day, I lost a couple important pieces of plastic over the weekend. I suspect that they fell out one of the times that I clunked my wallet on the bar Friday night, or possibly when I was throwing it around in a taxi shortly thereafter. Either way, dumb.

I don't ever lose things.
I've never lost my passport.
Or my driver's licence (largely because I don't drive).
I've never lost my cell phone.
Or my wallet (except for those two times that I left it at the library. I was 14 and a world away, so this doesn't count).
I've never lost anything that matters.

This was out of character. I'm tempted to say that this is kind of carelessness is why I stopped drinking in the first place, but really, I didn't lose a single personal belonging that time that I fell on my head, and that was much stupider. I don't lose things. I just don't. It's a control thing. Or maybe I'm possessive; it's true, I don't even take my purse off at work. Let's just say it's some form of Crazy and let it be.

While the bank card is the less important of the two, they wouldn't issue me another unless I showed them my Alien Registration Card. Fair enough. Seeing as I didn't have that either, this was inconvenient.

Then, magic happened.

Late this evening, I received a text from work that my bank card had turned up in Sajik. I was nowhere near Sajik. Somebody found my card, either in a taxi, a bar, or wherever, held on to it all weekend, and took the time to turn it into my bank the next business day. Then, the bank used the card to pull up my file, contact my school, and detail how I could go about retrieving it.

Of course that happened.

Much thanks is owed to whichever individual or business is responsible for this. I'll add this one to the Things That Would Never Happen at Home file.

4 comments:

Todd T said...

I've turned in three wallets to the police in Busan and Seoul. Each time the police asked for my business card so the returnee could give me a thank you call. They never did.

I *lost* a wallet while playing basketball in a small Seoul park *with* a police station about 50 meters away. The person who found it could have taken the money (my fault... help yourself) and still returned the rest to the police. Of course they didn't.

Lastly, in Japan I was at an ATM (bank was closed) and the fellow in front of me somehow failed to see one bill (10,000 yen -- about $100) stuck in the machine. By the time it was my turn he was gone.

But that being efficient Japan, I wrote down the bank machine #, time, date and location (not my bank) and returned the money to my own bank -- they were a bit incredulous, but took the info and cash. They tracked down the fellow without much trouble. Next day, I got a call from the fellow saying "arigatou".

1994 said...

Your bank sucks, Barbie. Have a Korean write a letter saying that you recieved poor service. If they found your info, called your school, they could have confirmed your identity and given the card back right away. Instead, they inconvienienced you. I would have gotten my passport and bankbook and closed the account.

Diana E.S. said...

Korea is the land where things are magically returned to you. In America, I wouldn't even think they might be, but here... every single time...

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for my motorcycle to be magically returned to me after it magically disappeared from the front of my school 4 years ago.