Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mandu is Not Actually Hilarious.

I just ran into one of the Random Street Food Men who usually park down the street from my apartment. He was suited-up and wandering around, his food tent nowhere in sight, so I assume he had the day off and lives in the neighborhood.

When he saw me approaching he shouted HIIII and began asking me stuff in rapid Korean. As always, this was futile. As always, when I couldn't come up with much of an answer to whatever he was babbling on about, he laughed. He then asked where I was going, because that's clearly his business. This is one of few things that he says to me that I actually understand, so I answered anyways: Mandu. I was getting some mandu in the hopes that it would have the magic properties needed to remedy my cold. Spoiler: It doesn't. He laughed at me again, because mandu is fucking hilarious, and carried on in the opposite direction.

Five minutes later, when I was waiting in the kimbap shop for my not-magical-at-all mandu, Random Street Food Man came in the door. He said HIIII again, asked me my name, and then asked the kimbap shop lady what I was having. When she told him I was getting mandu, he laughed, because mandu is just so funny. And then he left.

Time to start taking another route home from work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have just proven that mandu IS hilarious.

Bobby McGill said...

You might know better than I, since you are privy to Mandu's magical properties, but I heard that it was invented in China by a general. They were returning from battle and reached a river. The men refused to cross for fear that the soldiers they killed were possessing the waters. The general, with a bit of quick thinking, made mandu. The outside representing the skin and the inside representing the flesh --the idea was to fool the ghosts into thinking they were consuming the victorious soldiers. Satisfied, the men then crossed.

Whether true or not, that is hilarious.

Bobby

nb said...

You lie, Bobby. Mandu is unique and magic Korean food rivalled only by the world famous and loved kimchee by people in the world. You lie about mandu not is Korean and say Chinese even though that is lie. Korean first made mandu 5000 years ago. It is what first made Korea the soul of Asia. You are unqualified to make statement such as that.

Anonymous said...

Mandu is my favorite.


Jiang

Dokdo Is Ours said...

Hahaha! Mandu! Hahaha!

always kills me!