Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Barbie Declares Barbie Broken.

There’s a point at which that one has to drop all their defenses and just fucking own up to the fact that they’re not okay. I almost did that on New Year’s. I’m fully doing it right now. I’m not okay. I will be okay, but I’m currently not okay. Not even a little bit.

There is a reason that I occasionally refer to Korea as LaLa Land. Canada Land is this far off place that I intermittently refer to as The Real World. In my mind, it’s a place that was supposed to remain frozen in time. Prior to my departure, I carefully distributed “Nothing of Note is to Happen until October 2008” flyers. Sadly, I didn’t do this nearly thoroughly enough. As it turns out, sometimes three and a half months is a long time. Sometimes, some things do change.

My residency in La La Land gives me the option of whether or not I want to deal with those things that are changing back home. Since my arrival in Korea three and a half months ago, some things back home have…. apparently… changed. The memos, people! Why didn’t you all get the fucking memo? Christ.

A life long friend of mine found out that she was pregnant about a month after I left. In case you hadn’t noticed by now that the sun rises in the east, I am grossly self centred. Hence, my initial reaction to this was: “Dude! I’m going to miss the whole thing!” I later dealt with this by getting inappropriately drunk in Daegu and making what should probably be considered as regrettable decisions. I mean, I still have a kidney infection to show for it! Months later! Damn you, bacteria. Damn you.

Perspective is a funny thing. I would have been just fucking dandy if my life-long friend getting pregnant was going to the biggest change to happen back home while I was in Korea. But, again: the memos! They weren’t evenly distributed! The memo distribution system is broken!

I found out Sunday morning that another friend of mine has passed away.

Passed. A. Fucking. Way.

Are you kidding me? That only happens to other people! Like, people I know sometimes know other people who died. I don’t know people who die. This has sort of been a rule of mine for, well, life. And frankly, it’s worked out fantastically for me. Not having to deal with death has been wonderful!

I don’t mean to minimize the deaths within the family that have occurred during my lifetime; I was just too young to have the privilege to have built any serious rapport with my uncle, aunt or grandmother. So, while their deaths were deeply moving events that touched many of those who are close to me, they were relatively easy for me to deal with; as far as these things can be, that is. I also don’t mean to minimize past deaths of a couple acquaintances, whom happened to be very close to friends of mine. I was certainly affected by both of those events. It’s just that I didn’t truly appreciate what it’s like to lose a friend whom you have some sort of history or rapport with until it happened to me.

And now it’s happened to me.

I’m not going to eulogize or act as if I was any closer to the deceased than is reality. While it’s come to my attention throughout the years that many people do this, that’s just not how I roll. That’s not my grieving style. Or something. Frankly, I’m not sure what my grieving style is.

I first received news after returning to Busan from a 12-hour Daegu party night. It was 10:30 in the morning. I napped. I tried to get really into a tennis match when I woke up later. It was the Australian Open Final. Novak bloody Djokovic, my second favourite player (behind the mighty Nadal, of course), was on the brink of his first Grand Slam title. And I didn’t care. I tried to care. I really did. This is generally the sort of thing that has me sitting directly in front of the television screen and fist-pumping over amazing points. Those of you haven’t been exposed to Tennis Fan Barbie maybe grossly confused to learn that she occasionally embraces her inner jock in this manner, but it totally happens! I followed up the match with some coffee with a friend. I had to get out of the apartment. I felt tears and didn’t want them to flow. The next day was my first day of the work week. I decided that there was no time like Monday night to go drinking until 4am. Prior to meeting a couple of my Busan friends, both of whom have somehow avoided a tacky Barbie nickname, I purchased nail polish from 4 different stores. Within 15 minutes. I don’t even like painting my nails.

And now it’s Tuesday. Okay, it's actually Wednesday at this point. Whatever. I went out drinking. Again. With the same friends, plus two. Among other things, they put up with my whipping out the obituary over drinks. Who does that? Apparently I do. I received an email at work today with the obituary attached. I printed it off, put it in my purse, and glanced at it over drinks at the bar. Who does that? I’m not really sure what else to do with it at this point. Do I leave it in my purse? Throw it out? Put it with my other important papers at my apartment? Somehow, it’s easiest to just leave it in my purse.

Given my lack of experience when it comes to dealing with death, I’m unsure as to where exactly I’m supposed to go from here. Do I reevaluate? Didn’t I just fucking do that at New Year’s? Do I reevaluate again? I chatted with the friend who passed away just one week ago, and we both concluded that what I was currently doing was awesome. I am living my life to the fullest, more or less. I should probably take better care of my health and not lean on the bottle for support so much. Aside from that, I’m not sure which way to lean.

I will find a way. Somewhere, there is Direction just waiting for me to find it. Right? Of course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know what to say, Becca. I haven't really had to deal with death either. Frankly, it scares the hell out of me. But please don't drink yourself retarded -- you are like my family. Come back in one piece! And when you do come back, our little family will have a new member. Just think, even though you are missing the pregnancy, at least you're missing all the un-fun stuff like Care being REALLY sweaty and bitchy and craving pickles and mustard. This hasn't happened yet but oh, it will. What you won't be missing, is the finished product. Did I just refer to a baby as a "product"? Oh dear.
xoSteph

Anonymous said...

BECCA!!!! LISTEN TO ME!!! CRY, DAMN IT!!!

Stock up on Kleenexes, stay home for a night, stay sober, watch a sad movie and CRY YOUR DAMN EYES OUT! Your life has been really tough lately -- admit it! You need to cry! Cry for your poor deceased friend, cry for the world, cry for yourself! It's okay -- I promise you won't crumble irreparably to pieces if you finally allow yourself to feel all this pent-up sadness. But I don't know what'll happen if you keep cramming it all down inside, buried in a haze of booze. PLEASE CRYYYYYYYYYYY

your one and only cyber aunt from tennisland :-)

j. said...

BECCA!!!! LISTEN TO ME!!! CRY, DAMN IT!!!

Stock up on Kleenexes, stay home for a night, stay sober, watch a sad movie and CRY YOUR DAMN EYES OUT! Your life has been really tough lately -- admit it! You need to cry! Cry for your poor deceased friend, cry for the world, cry for yourself! It's okay -- I promise you won't crumble irreparably to pieces if you finally allow yourself to feel all this pent-up sadness. But I don't know what'll happen if you keep cramming it all down inside, buried in a haze of booze. PLEASE CRYYYYYYYYYYY

your one and only cyber aunt from tennisland :-)