Monday, December 3, 2007

Barbie's Random Weekend Musings

One of the many wonderful things about coming to South Korea was that I got to leave everybody elses problems at home. Now, don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't love to hear everybody elses gossip. Au contraire, the only thing that I love talking about more than myself is other people! However, my last year was laced with a heavy dose of Suck, and after a while everything starts to wear on you a bit. My thought coming over here was that I wouldn't have to deal with anybody elses shit for a whole year. Fantastic! So I thought. I somehow failed to realize that in order to achieve this I would have to not only avoid making any friends here, but I'd also have to cut off contact with my friends at home. Essentially, I'd have to live in a box. Even I couldn't pull that off for more than a few days at a time. Who would I have to talk about myself with?

I got some news from back home on Friday afternoon which resulted in a ridiculous binge of randomness this weekend. Thankfully, nobody died. I merely had to accept the reality that a year is a long enough time that people close to me can go through massive fucking life changes that I'm going to miss entirely. That's the trade off of being a Fucking Rock Star, apparently. It's a trade off that I'm willing to take, but that doesn't make it any less of a Bag of Suck.

The binge began in Busan, wound it's way over to Daegu, then returned to Busan with little left in it's legs. All in all I probably spent 8 hours in my apartment the entire weekend. There were many bars, there was some poutine, there was bowling and ping pong, there were three McDonald's breakfasts in one morning, there may have been a D-grade film, and at some point I declared it that it was my Fucking Birthday. I even have a photo with a birthday hat that I found on a table. Because putting on random accessories that you find in a bar is always a good idea.

Yes, I finally found poutine. Fucking poutine. It was like, the best thing ever. Up until that point, anyways. If I could eat poutine every day, I would. Thighs be damned. It went really well with the quesadillas. Ass be damned! Poutine was most certainly among my three best choices for things to do this weekend. It was certainly better than my choice to eat three breakfasts at McDonald's at 530am on Satuday.

I capped the weekend by returning to Busan late afternoon on Sunday. I decided that going home to shower was grossly overrated and went to Seomyeon in search of my card-playing group. It turns out that cards was cancelled in favour of going to this arcade-type place. For 7 bucks you get three hours of unlimited bowling, ping pong, billiards, arcade games, computer games, air hockey, soccer and baseball simulator thingy-ma-jigs, and some other Blah. A blast was had by all. Sadly, I was pretty void of energy. I'll have to return another time when I have a bit more skip in my step.

Several days and dozens of drinks later, I have almost accepted the fact that life goes on without me back home. At least I can take comfort in knowing that it's not nearly as much fun without me.

2 comments:

Leena. said...

Awww, don't worry my 2nd favorite Big White Barbie.

In a few short months, you'll be back to being waaay too picky with guys, and generally burned out with life!

Going far away doesn't solve these things. I thought I'd never meet anyone and be a complete loner in a faraway land for eternity, which I was fine with. Then, I end up getting engaged within 15 months. Life is weird.

Kim said...

Poutine...aughhhhh (does that Homer Simpson drooling thing, head cocked to the side). I had (somehow) forgotten poutine...me want-y.