Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Broken Beds of Moscow

I sleep on a pull out couch, half of which slants towards the floor due to lack of support and, probably, age. If I mistakenly roll over that way and don't end up on the floor, the bed creaks loudly enough to wake the entire hall. This is a significant upgrade from the actual bed that I slept in when I lived in South Moscow. There, I slept on a shell of a frame; It looked good at first glance, until you lifted the mattress and realized that it was balanced on only three planks. It looked much like a poorly constructed IKEA bed, with the remaining, necessary planks long since discarded.

I've asked around, and it turns out that sleeping on something that can barely be called a bed is quite normal here, and I should be happy that mine still has legs on it.

I received a promotion, which is why I've been blogging less recently. With said promotion, there's really no reason I couldn't afford an IKEA bed (and put it together properly). However, I've gotten so used to my pull-out couch half-bed, and the functional half is comfortable and sturdy enough, that I can't bring myself to replace it. Still, I long just a little bit for the rock-hard, one-inch thick futon mattress I was given in Japan. All things considered, that thing was pretty sweet. 

No comments: