Thursday, November 20, 2008

Come On, Bra. Really?

I went bra shopping in Korea exactly once. Sort of. When I was still a young pup, fresh off the plane and all, my coworker brought me to some underwear shop in Nampodong. Here, Random Ajumma measured me, roughly, over my sweater, in order to determine my Korean bra size. She then informed my coworker that there was one store in Seomyeon which carried my size, should I wish to drop 80 dollars on a bra purchase. Hence, the first time that I considered buying a bra while in Korea was my last.

The majority of bras in Korea, so far as I saw, were of the AA-A Cup/2 lbs of padding variety. They also seemed to have a lot of bows on them. A whole lotta bows. It really is just as well that I couldn't fit into that shit. Thank goodness I had the foresight to bring more than half a dozen bras with me. I can wait until I get back to Canada Land to restock, I thought to myself.

Not as easily as originally thought.

Just a few hours ago I found myself in Bra Hell, Canada Style. Where Canada Style looks a whole lot like Korea Style, with fewer bows and a variety of cup sizes. For some inexplicable reason, bras of all sizes come ready to disguise your breasts as torpedoes and push them up to your neck. In fact, should you wish you find a bra that does otherwise, you'd best not shop at Random Cheap Bra Outlet, where bras of the non-torpedo persuasion are clearly outlawed.

Did I miss the memo that declared neck cleavage hot?

I just don't know.

5 comments:

Diana E.S. said...

oh baby. i want to do your neck cleavage like so bad.

boobs are out. butts are in.

invest in thongs and burn your bras.

anninator said...

I feel your pain. 2007 was the Year of the Bra Crisis as I didn't go back to Canada. Loaded up this summer though. Don't know what size you are but chances are if you're a B or more, I recommend this one: Triumph 1948 WHUD. Sorry to be all testimonial like, but man this is a great bra. The straps can even do that X thing, which for a D girl is a rare treat. Bows = 0 Pointiness factor = 1/5 Cost = under $40

Anonymous said...

At least you have nice breasts...

I am not the flattest woman in China, but everytime I go to the bra shops, my self confidence has to be seriously chanllenged...

Damn, I am AA.


Jiang

Chris said...

That's all right Jiang. Some of us prefer small breasts. Less sag and all of that.

Big White Barbie said...

Diana - Pack of lies! Boobs never entirely go out. And thong underwear is awful.

anninator - Thanks! I'll check out the bra and see how it rolls.

Jiang - You're lovely, don't let the bra shops of China make you think otherwise. Listen to Chris!