Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ugh, Mornings.

I do not like mornings. Mornings do not like me. We don't speak the same language. I remedy this by refusing to get out of bed and speak, for as long as possible. When I'm forced to sleep in a room with other people, I pretend that I'm still sleeping well after I've been awoken. Should somebody decide to step on my toes and attempt to engage me in conversation, it's likely that I will snarl at them, before rolling over to face the other direction. I suppose that it would be more accurate to say that I hate people in the morning. Mornings themselves are relatively inoffensive. Left in peace, I can enjoy a nice sunrise or a book before dawn. What I can not enjoy is idle chatter before noon. I do not like people in the mornings. People in the morning do not like me, because I snarl at them and just generally act unpleasant.

School is out for summer. In Korea, what that means is that while public schools have closed for summer vacation, students will spend twice as much time at hagwons as usual to make up for the lost time. While I come from a culture which values leisure time and hobbies, here, my students spend so much of their time in a classroom that I'm surprised they manage to develop any hobbies at all.

This week, I'm getting a slight taste for what it must be like to have no time whatsoever for a personal or social life, by taking care of some extra classes for The Boss Man in the mornings. Summer vacation is a good time for The Boss Man's wallet, as he can charge parents for extra classes, where their overworked, exhausted children can be pushed further towards complete fucking burnout.

As much as I'd like to complain about how exhausted I am, I get to spend my weekend sleeping in, watching the Olympics on the telly, reading, writing, and scratching my ass. My students will likely spend Saturday in school, and at least half of them will study on Sunday. A few of them will find time in there for a computer game or a riveting archery competition on the TV. I really, probably shouldn't bitch.

No comments: